Friday, December 4, 2015

Where Will YOU be for the Revolution

I'm not entirely sure what this week's blog needs to be on considering we spent Monday and Wednesday working on presentations.  I decided to recap a couple topics that I particularly enjoyed learning about.


  1. Edward Snowden: When someone approaches me on the street and asks me what I know about Edward Snowden, I am prepared to make myself (and random citizens) seem aware of current events.  One of the significant lessons that I will take from our course is extreme government intervention and our complete lack of privacy. I don't know about you all, but I was (somewhat) surprised at the NSA's power to view/listen to every moment of our lives.  Equally as important, that these moments are stored and they will never go away.  In our current age, there is absolutely no room for error because nothing we do or say is private. DAMN. 
  2. Connectivity and Revolution: This topic fueled my fire for social justice throughout the semester.  As more people join the virtual world and have access to social media, knowledge will become more and more widespread.  Over the past few years, hashtags have provided a means of spreading information on a specific topic rapidly.  If most or all individuals have access to hashtag-like programs, then movements will be able to heighten like never before. I want nothing more than to see marginalized people's voices amplified. This is empowering for individuals and communities - some communities (virtual) that we have not even created yet!
  3. Robots and Artificial Intelligence: Now this topic is far too big to cover in a portion of a blog, but I am hopeful for the fate of human-robot interactions.  I think artificial intelligence is inevitable and these beings will find their place in our twisted world.  Whether it be teaching children, providing company (a good lay?), or somehow serving the community, there is great potential for another being {This class also taught me that a lot of humans suck - JK I already knew that}. Perhaps robots' ability to think without biases will promote order and justice, fingers crossed.   


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about artificial intelligence being inevitable. We can't hide or run from it because it is most definitely going to happen whether we like it or not. I do not think there is anyway to prepare for it so I hope that artificial intelligence will be gradually introduced to us more and not just thrown at our faces. Also, I hope you are right about the robots promoting order and justice because they will be unbiased. However, if people are creating the robots then won't the creators install in the robots what they personally believe? This will give the robot the bias of their creator (I hope that made sense).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a rude awakening concerning my privacy (or lack thereof!)after taking this class. I really had no idea just how far extended into our lives the government has made themselves. I look at everything (internet, technological devices)so much differently now. I now understand, thanks to Dr.Johnson, that there is no such thing as "delete" on the internet. Once it's out there, it is OUT THERE!! I am 1000 times more mindful about what I post.
    I definitely agree with you on the hash tag popularity. I feel that this is something so easy and simple for young people to boost and encourage. I feel like voices will continue to be heard if we keep using technology for good and to support others! Lastly, AI is inevitable. Sadly, I feel we as humans will do what we do best: Find a way to corrupt the good. We will find a way to enslave and misuse the newly created beings. This could ultimately lead to some type of revolution concerning humans and robots. This may be the step needed in order to ensure fair treatment of the AI beings. Overall, I think humans will have to learn the same ways in which we have learned in the past for us to be able to move forward.

    ReplyDelete